Monday, January 25, 2010

an attempt.


fact: Mr. Frazier & I consume way too much sugar. Not a meal goes by that we don't end with dessert.{Ry, I know this is entirely my fault...}
While reading my Southern Living mag. last night, {thanks Mary} I found this Reduced-Sugar Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, and Pecan Cookies recipe. I had all the ingredients on hand, & decided to spontaneously give it a whirl. I mean, I should at least try to minimize a least a bit of the sugar we intake. Hey, it couldn't hurt, right? { I made these after we had consumed a mid-day s'more snack, a whole pizza for dinner, oodles of candy, a pazookie really late the night before.... you get the idea, but hey, its the little things that count, right?}
So here is my attempt at some healthy(er) cookies... and they actually turned out pretty good. :) {I did some adapting of the recipe, but try it however you like.}
Reduced-Sugar Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, and Pecan Cookies
Yield: Makes 3 dozen
Ingredients:
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup uncooked regular oats ( I used quick oats instead bc its what I had on hand.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup granular sweetener ( I used 1/2 regular sugar & 1/2 Splenda)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar sweetener
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract ( I always double the vanilla, heck, I don't even measure, I just generously pour.)
1 large egg
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate mini-morsels ( I used milk chocolate chips & increased it about a half a cup. Who doesn't need more chocolate?)

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant.
2. Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients. Beat sugar sweeteners and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add vanilla and egg, beating until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Stir in toasted pecans and mini-morsels.
3. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
4. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and cool completely (about 20 minutes).

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I believe in real, authentic, southern, goodness, probably too often, but I had to try this lightened version for our arteries. :) However, when you eat 4 or 5 of them, I think it defeats the purpose...

Enjoy!

1 comment:

POPPY FRENCH said...

Thank you! My housemate has just discovered that it is sugar that is giving him allergies so I have been googling reduced sugar things today. This is the first sort of thing he would like to eat, the poor boy usually likes to eat a packet of biscuits a day, no more!